Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with VCD Athletic Football Club



3 months ago By Keith McMahon




The Vickers were slow out of the box in this opening day encounter and went behind to a somewhat controversial goal within the first 5 minutes of the game. A poor back header by Alastair Gordon left keeper Joe Mant exposed, leaving Mark Lovell with an open goal, but a fine block by the keeper saw the ball cleared for a throw in. From the ball in Kemo Darboe was pushed away by Lovell as he went for the ball with it falling kindly to Charley Robertson, who hooked home off the near post to put Town ahead. Expecting a free kick the VCD defence were astounded when the goal was allowed to stand. A minute later the score was doubled when a Vickers attack broke down as Lovell sent a ball forward splitting a square defence leaving the speedy Liam King to run on and slot low into the corner. VCD began to get in the game with Steve Carvell drilling a free kick just over the bar from 30 yards, and then Rashid Kamara set up Omar Lawson whose low angled drive tested keeper Simon Overland low down to his right. The game then began to get niggly with the referee letting a number of dubious challenges go unpunished and VCD suffered another setback when skipper Owen Roberts went off injured. As he jumped to head clear a reckless challenge saw him fall and lay motionless on the ground, and after lengthy treatment he left the field to go to hospital with suspected broken ribs. Amazingly the referee re-started the game with a dropped ball with everyone expecting at least a caution. The Vickers then began to dominate, keeping Town pegged back but a combination of a lack of incision, and some resolute defending from Faversham saw the half end with Town having the upper hand.
The visitors began the second half straight on the attack with Sam Bewick getting clear, only to shoot weakly at Joe Mant, but they increased their lead immediately after when George Monger played in the impressive Liam King, who fired home his second goal off the far post. The Vickers were not dealing with the long ball over the top, and being closed down quickly were kept under pressure as Town looked to go further ahead. Gradually the threat subsided and Vickers began to have a good spell as they attacked the visitors’ defence and kept possession well. They came close to reducing the deficit on a couple of occasions but each time goal-line clearances came to Town’s rescue as they soaked up the pressure. Derek Duncan’s free kick tested keeper Overland who stretched well to turn the ball over, and from the corner the ball was again scrambled off the line. Then a neat move between Barboe and Kamara saw them set up Steve Carvell whose well struck shot crashed off the angle with Overland nowhere. Carvell then sent Lawson clear with a good chance to score but Overland did well to block the ball to safety with his chest. The Vickers were again caught out with another ball over the top from George Monger but from Jordan Casey’s cut back Sam Bewick dragged his shot past the far post. VCD still did not learn and Overland launched a long ball upfield which Karmel Duncan and Junior Baker failed to deal with, and Jordan Casey took one touch before rifling low past Mant. The Vickers were then on the wrong end of another disgraceful challenge with Jeff Imudia being elbowed in the face as he headed clear, yet once again the referee failed to award a foul. The lump on Imudia’s head should have been enough evidence for him. Town finally wrapped the game up in the final minute when Ryan Cooper broke into the box and as Derek Duncan went to challenge, Cooper kicked a divot out of the ground as he attempted to shoot before going over, and the referee strangely awarded a penalty. Bewick took the spot kick which was parried by Joe Mant, but he followed up to tuck away the loose ball to complete the scoring. Not the best of opening days it has to be said, but let’s hope that both we, and the standard of refereeing, will improve.

VCD Athletic: Mant, Imudia, Gordon, Baker, Roberts (D Duncan 29), K Duncan, Blackwood,
Lawson (El-Moyhalbel 67), Darboe (Osei 76), Carvell, Kamara

Subs not used: Bankole, Sekhon,

Attendance: 83
Report by Brian Norris

Updated 09:37 - 16 Aug 2017 by Keith McMahon

Where next?

FA Trophy draw announced FA Trophy draw announced

Sat 25 Nov
1st Team Shoreham
League 15:00
Tue 28 Nov
1st Team Hythe Town
League 19:45
Sat 2 Dec
1st Team Guernsey
League 14:00

Team sponsors


Club sponsors